January 26, 2012

Dress like: Marlene

I'm going to add another feature to this blog. The 'Dress Like' posts will be about the style of an icon from the past. I'll put together a look from modern day (web)shops, inspired by the icon that is featured. The first lady I'm going to post about is the woman know for her masculine charm: Marlene Dietrich!
Everyone who has seen a movie with Marlene in it, will have noticed that she wasn't very mainstream. Her face and overall appearance are very androgynous. She wore a lot of (hight waisted) pants, which was quite shocking for women at the time. But she always remained feminine in my opinion, even while wearing a tuxedo and a top hat. Looking good was important for her, and if you read a bit about the lady you'll find out she went pretty far to maintain her special looks. Did you ever thought about how it was possible for her eyebrows to look so 'lifted'? Face-lifts were performed at the time, but they weren't very effective. Story goes Malrene put surgical pins in her wigs that lifted her forehead.... Some call it crazy; I call it dedication.
I dress for the image. Not for myself, not for the public, not for fashion, not for men.

-Marlene Dietrich

Blouse: Esprit
Trousers: Zara
Shoes: Asos (sale)
Hat: Bijenkorf
Belt: New Look

2 comments:

  1. Ik zou het zo dragen (zonder het jasje). Haar stijl is fenomenaal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful, I love Marlene Dietrich too! But weren't here eyebrows fake?

    xoxo, Femke On the Button

    ReplyDelete

... it makes my day!